Thursday, May 05, 2005

Spooky's Schmoo And Little Bullet (Two)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fancy a bit of prog house, circa '93? Then you're in luck with today's post from Brit duo Spooky's classic album Gargantuan. When you read about this record it's often in comaparison to another prog house classic, Leftfield's Leftism. One thing for sure is that Gargantuan isn't as consistently good as Leftism, which is one of my most favorite electronic records ever. The other thing about that comparison that gets me is that, to my mind, they sound a lot more like Orbital than Leftfield. There's the same repetition of melody and sampled, girly vocals, and none of the reggae and dub flavor that Leftism has in spades. That having been said, I still love the Spooky record a lot - it's fun and warm and makes me smile. It's finally sunny and 72º in Minneapolis today, and this stuff is going down a treat...
Schmoo
Little Bullet (Part Two)

1 comment:

James Henry said...

I think Spooky did a pretty good remix of William Orbit's 'Like Water from a Vine Leaf' too, which I haven't heard for a million years. Must go and root through me box of cd singles now...