Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Lost Classics Of The Brazilian Post-Punk Era

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My favorite record in the world right now is this absolutely enormous compilation of Brazilian post punk music from 1982 to 1988 entitled Não Wave. Featuring a handful of bands from São Paolo, it floored me the first time I listened to it. Here is a scene that was as vital as it's counterparts in the UK & New York No Wave scenes - the same edgy, art-rock meets funk, but shot through Brazilian culture - lyrics in Portuguese, the polyrhythms of Brazilian percussion, and lots of cuica. It's been a real blast trying to spot the influences of these bands - Talking Heads, PIL, The Slits, ESG, A Certain Ratio, Joy Division & New Order and on and on and on... I really cannot recommend this collection enough. Here are a couple of tracks to sample -

Ira! - Lá Fora Pode Até Morrer

Akira S & As Garotas Que Erraram feat. Holger Czukay - Sobre As Pernas

Then today when I was at the record shop I came across a new compilation from the great Soul Jazz label called The Sexual Life Of The Savages which is another look at same São Paolo scene! Turns out the Akira S tune posted today is on this too - I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm sure you'll be reading and hearing about it on these pages soon!

2 comments:

Paulo X said...

The other day, Matthew at Fluxblog posted another track from the compilation -- Fellini's "Rock Europeu".

I'm glad people overseas are rediscovering these groups.

Paulo (who still owns a vinyl copy of Akira S's first record), in Brazil

20jazzfunkgreats said...

Yep yep - very much liking this stuff.

Think it was the ace

http://smashedrobot.blogspot.com/

who posted the Fellini first, cheers for letting us know about the Nao Wave.