Tuesday, July 24, 2007

New Music Tuesday - Prince

The Purple One has a new LP out today on NPG/Columbia Records. Called Planet Earth, it is 10 tracks of typically Prince-ly fare. Rumor has it that some of these songs have been around for ages, and I can hear that in the music here. There are several ballads, some pop tunes and a couple of funk rockers. This set is notable for some of his collaborators too. Wendy & Lisa contribute guitar, mandolin and vocals and Sheila E is on percussion. I like it. It has some nice variety, and the guitar playing on it is phenomenal. Dude can shred the frets, and some of his soloing is pretty sweet. I have to say that I have enjoyed the resurgent Purple One's last few albums, and I am enjoying this one too. Chelsea Rodgers is a throwback to the really old school Prince of the early '80s. It rides disco beats, has bass poppin' goodness, big horns and lots of soulful backing vocals. Mmm-mmm good. I dig the hologram-a-glyphic cover too.

No comments: