Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Empires And Dance

I began the day excited. It's new release Tuesday, and I would be making my music geek way to the record store to pick up a remastered and expanded resissue of My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, the seminal record by Brian Eno and David Byrne. However, due to the dastardly deeds of Nonesuch Records, that did not happen. The release was pushed back until next week. I was a bit peeved - I wrote yesterday about it coming out today and I hinted at the possibility of a post, and I was geeked up for it. Oh well. I picked up a remastered copy of the Simple Minds' 1980 LP Empires And Dance instead. Damn it sounds great. This album has all that was good about this band - the hard edged rock guitars, the trance-y rhythms, chunky basslines and plenty of ambient synth action. I Travel's rhythm feels like a speeding train and I like the shards of guitar, the blippy keys and the killer disco chorus. Nice blazing geetar solo too. This Fear Of Gods begins with simple key arpeggios, and slowly builds up into a spaced out groover with all kinds of atmospheric texture. It's nice to finally have a copy of this on CD. And next in two weeks we'll have the Byrne and Eno, unless it gets pushed back again...

No comments: