Tuesday, April 20, 2010

R.I.P. Guru

SIART is very sad to learn of the passing of hip hop icon Guru (Keith Elam), formerly of seminal '90s duo Gang Starr. He had been fighting cancer (and had kept his fight secret from fans) and recently suffered a heart attack that put him in a coma. He was 47. Before he died he wrote a letter to his fans which you can read here. Back in the '90s Guru's music was a big part of my musical diet, from his stuff with Gang Starr to the 4 Jazzmatazz albums. I loved his laid back and sleepy flow - it was a unique voice in hip hop. He brought so many great artists together on the Jazzmatazz projects, and exposed a whole new generation to some jazz greats. His creativity will be missed. Today I offer two of my favorites, one from Gang Starr's 1994 LP Hard To Earn and one from 1993's Jazzmatazz Volume:1.

Gang Starr - Mass Appeal
Guru feat. N'dea Davenport - Trust Me

No comments: