Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Song Of The Day

Colourbox - Baby I Love You So
(Augustus Pablo)
12" A Side - 1986

This is probably one of my top 10 favorite 12" singles ever. IMO Colourbox should have been huge. Their 4AD recordings were proto-trip hop. They laced their beats with rock guitars and slathered them in dub. I am still amazed at how good this particular track sounds considering it is 23 years old. It is a seriously spaced out dub, a cover of an oldie by Augustus Pablo. It has an all time classic bass line and some huge rim shots, all topped off with Lorita Graham's sweet vocals. I have heard a few different versions of this song and I always come back to this version. Added bonus - the flip side is just as good, with two more dub excursions filled with spaghetti western samples.

2 comments:

art58koen said...

Fully agree, great record, I have a 12 inch mp3version somewhere, but not those dub flip sides, any chance of upping those too?

Douglas Wolk said...

N.b. the reason "Baby I Love You So" is particularly notable is that the original recording (by Jacob Miller) was the basis for Augustus Pablo's super-famous dub "King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown"!