Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Romance Bloody Romance


Last week I picked up the new collection of remixes and b-sides from Canadian indie rocker duo Death From Above 1979 called Romance Bloody Romance. The original tracks are from the You're A Woman, I'm A Machine album that came out at the beginning the year. I do not own that record. I have heard a couple of tracks from it. I also really like the track they did on the Bloc Party Remixed set that came out a few months back. I am a sucker for the remix so I took the plunge. You get mixes by Justice, Erol Alkan, Masterkraft (AKA Sebastien Grainger, one half of DFA'79), Phones, Jesper Dahlback and a few others. I really am enjoying these mixes, so much so that I think I will be picking up the original album. I particularly dig these two mixes of the same song, Black History Month, with it's quirky lyrics and memorable refrain. Black History Month (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Remix) has the French disco factor dialed up to 11 - crisp beats, a gloriously chunky bass riff and fantastically tight, '80s metal guitar riffs paired with a shimmering chorus that will take you back to the glory days of Daft Punk and Bob Sinclar. Black History Month (Josh Homme Remix) is not disco in the least. The first couple of minutes are about spooky ambience, then a rudimentary beat kicks in and you get some blasts of riffage before it all spaces out again. A couple of cool and varied takes that really carry the stamp of the remixers! And what a marvellously creepy cover.

No comments: