Monday, December 12, 2005

A Bevy Of Beauties

Madonna's Get Together is very popular at my house. My daughters, ages soon-to-be 2 and soon-to-be 6, are in love with the first 4 or 5 songs from Madge's new record, and spin and dance around the living room - much to my amusement of course. I like about half of the record myself, and am happy that she decided to work with her live band leader Stuart Price (AKA Les Rythmes Digitales) this time around.

Metric's recent album Live It Out has been blogged about a lot. It's been a couple of months now, and I want to get my 2¢ in. It is a much harder rocking affair with less emphasis on the new wave synths. Normally I'd be lamenting that, and at first I wasn't convinced, but I stuck with it and have warmed up to the album. Glass Ceiling is a good example of the harder sound, with it's big, meaty guitar riff intro. It's also got wierd honky tonk piano, cool rat-a-tat drums in the chorus, and Emily Haines' vocals are always pleasing to my ears.

British indie art rockers Broadcast also got blogged a fair amount earlier in the year. They slimmed to a two piece and released Tiny Buttons. It didn't get the greatest reviews, but I really like it. It sounds less fascinated with Stereolab and a bit more electronically inclined. These are both good things. I particularly like Black Cat with it's glitched out beats and distortion. The song has a lovely, almost nursery rhyme like melody. It never really builds up to anything bigger, but I enjoy it's spaced out buzz.

No comments: