I am happy to report that Sterolab continue to hold my attention after all these years. Fab Four Suture is a collection of 7"s and the b-sides from the last year. It shows the band continuing it's unique style, but IMO in a tougher fashion - more edge, a harded sound. This tune has all of their lovely trademarks - melody, vocal harmonies, horns, buzzing keys, and a boogie-riffic disco breakdown in the middle.
The Flaming Lips - The Wizard Turns On...
Here's a bit of instrumental psychedelic space boogie in slow motion from the Lips' latest, At War With The Mystics. Despite mediocre reviews I like it's assortment of new sounds and directions (I feel the spirit of Queen on several of the songs) and the fact that it doesn't sound like Yoshimi... part 2.
ZZ Top - Waitin' For The Bus
I was at the record store a few weeks ago and came across a remastered/expanded edition of ZZ's 1973 album Tres Hombres for cheap. I have always dug the tunes Jesus Just Left Chicago and La Grange, and this song kicks off the LP in spectacularly boogie-fied fashion. Just plain smokin' from start to finish.
The Rip It Up and Start Again compilation is released May 15th on V2.
Here's the tracklist:
* THE FALL — Fiery Jack
* DEVO — Praying Hands
* PULSALLAMA — The Devil Lives In My Husband's Body
* CABARET VOLTAIRE — Sluggin' For Jesus Part 1
* JOSEF K — Sense of Guilt
* SCRITTI POLITTI — PAs
* THE SLITS — Spend Spend Spend
* FATAL MICROBES — Violence Grows
* ROBERT WYATT — Grass
* SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES — Slowdive
* THE RAINCOATS — Only Loved At Night
* YOUNG MARBLE GIANTS — Choci Loni
* THE HUMAN LEAGUE — Dancevision
* THOMAS LEER — Tight As A Drum
* THE ASSOCIATES — White Car In Germany
* THE B-52s — Give Me Back My Man
* JOHN COOPER CLARKE — Beasley Street
* THE SPECIALS — Friday Night, Saturday Morning
* HEAVEN 17 — I'm Your Money
* THE BLUE ORCHIDS — Dumb Magician
Happy to see a few things I don't have here - all in all a damn cool sounding set of tunes!