Saturday, October 02, 2004

You've Got The Power

Earlier this week Just For A Day posted a track by The Fire Engines. This got me digging into the vinyl, and I'm picking up where the Fire Engines left off. The next band that singer Davey Henderson fronted was Win. The first time I heard their debut single You've Got The Power I knew I had to have it - a brash, anthemic pop tune that rocked and danced at the same time. It's got the wikka wikka guitar riffs, that big '80s drum sound and a very cool, very catchy keyboard melody. Where the Fire Engines were more of a rock band, here Davey was trying for a more of a pop sound - they still had some of the spikier elements in place, just with a much more polished sheen to them. If I had ruled the world chart domination would have ensued, but of course it didn't. They released two albums and Win was over. Davey Henderson has continued to record over the last decade as Nectarine No.9. It remains a mystery to me why this song was not a HUGE hit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uplifting, inspirational , a call to arms.
What else is there???

heath said...

yeah I could see this being a hit back in the day, but I still prefer the Fire Engines =) thanks for the linkage...