Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Return of De la Soul

De La Soul released their first new record in 4 years this week. It's called The Grind Date, and it features a bunch of guest vocalists - MF Doom, Flava Flav, Common, Ghostface, and some cool production assistance from Madlib, J Dilla and Supa Dave West. I've listened to it a couple of times and have to say that I'm digging it. I love the hook on opening track The Future - an old easy listening vocal sample about "the future", lyrics establishing their "elder statesmen" position in the rap world, and a nice fat beat. It's kind of crazy to think that I've been listening to these dudes for 15 years now!

FYI - I cut the track's first minute out - it's just some very quiet talking intro.

2 comments:

Rhianna said...

I enjoyed listening to De la Soul's "The Future."

Michael said...

I'm glad to hear that. There's something about those old easy music listening samples that hooked me right away.