Friday, October 22, 2004

Funky Friday - Pop Muzik


When I was at the record store earlier this week I stumbled across a 2004 reissue I had no clue about, M's 1979 album New York•London•Paris•Munich. It's been put out by Razor & Tie Records, and features 5 bonus cuts on it. The classic hit single everyone knows is Pop Muzik. Over a funky, percolating disco beat Robin Scott extolls the joys of pop. It features some great, twangy guitar, some cool sax and it's vocals are unforgettable - his manic new wave delivery, the girls singing the "shoo-bee-doo-bee-doo-wops". The band on this recording is interesting too - Wally Badarou on keys, Gary Barnacle on sax and Phil Gould (from Level 42!) on drums. Sure it's got that "one hit wonder"/novelty song thing going on, but it's so damn catchy and poptastic I can't resist, and neither should you!

4 comments:

Rhianna said...

Thanks for adding the Pop Muzik clip in honor of Funky Friday! That clip certainly brings back memories & it puts me in an upbeat mood :-)

deusdiabolus said...

U2 did a rather nifty version of "Pop Muzik". It came out during the POP album, and can be found on a limited edition double 12" set called the POP MART sampler, as well as on the CD maxi single of LAST NIGHT ON EARTH. If you look in other (ahem) areas, look for: U2 - "Pop Muzik (Pop Mart Mix)".

Michael said...

I'd love to hear the U2 version! I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for it.

sharky said...

in addition to the studio mix, U2 opened their PopMart shows with the song so you may be able to find a live version.

btw, love the blog.