Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Flashback/1984

Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - Perfect Skin

I choose my friends only far too well,
I'm up on the pavement, they're all down in the cellar.
With their government grants and my i.q.
They brought me down to size, academia blues.
Louise is a girl, i know her well,
She's up on the pavement, yes she's a weather girl.
And i'm staying up here so i may be undone.
She's inappropriate, but then she's much more fun and
When she smiles my way,
My eyes go out in vain,
She's got perfect skin.
Shame on you, you've got no sense of grace, shame on me,
Ah just in case i might come to a conclusion
Other than that which is absolutely necessary,
And that's perfect skin.
Louise is the girl with the perfect skin,
She says turn on the light, otherwise it can't be seen.
She's got cheekbones like geometry and eyes like sin,
And she's sexually enlightened by Cosmopolitan and
When she smiles my way,
My eyes go out in vain,
For her perfect skin.
Yeah that's perfect skin.
She takes me down to the basement to look at her slides,
Of her family life, pretty weird at times.
At the age of ten she looked like Greta Garbo
And i loved her then, but how was she to know that
When she smiles my way,
My eyes go out in vain,
She's got perfect skin.
Up eight flights of stairs to her basement flat,
Pretty confused huh, being shipped around like that.
Seems we climbed so high now we're down so low,
Strikes me the moral of this song must be there never has been one.

7 comments:

xolondon said...

One of my all time favorites. Miss this band. Lloyd's recent work is so serious - I like the light touch of the Commotions.

Michael said...

I agree. I was a big fan of his stuff w/ the Commotions, and stuck with his solo stuff for only a couple of records.

I love the Velvets jangle and the verbosity of this song - too cool! Still holds up rather well too...

Phil said...

The whole Rattlesnakes album is a classic. My 15 year old self interviewed him for my local fanzine I used to produce... He was lovely.

Baron Von Luxxury said...

I've been listening to the song "Rattlesnakes" on repeat for the last few weeks...Lloyd is in the air!

Josie said...

I agree with Phil -- 'Rattlesnakes' was a classic. I still have my original vinyl version. 'Perfect Skin' was my first intro to them.

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

better watch out for the skin deep; oh, that's the stranglers but yes a great single from the Commotions...

you said...

I LOVE UR BLOG!!!! YEIII :D