Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts

Today is the day. The seminal Brian Eno & David Byrne album My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (originally released in 1981) has been remastered and fitted with seven new tracks. I have had it for six hours and heard it twice already. It sounds as phenomenal as ever, only more so. It is a firm favorite in my collection. I was (and still am) smitten by it's mish mash of rhythms, spoken word snippets, ethnic music and art funk. It is a pioneer in terms of it's technical achievements - much of sampling and cut & paste has it's roots here. I wish to avoid excessive hyperbole - suffice it to say I think everyone should try this record on for size. Regiment is one of the best tunes on the album - Chris Frantz' steady beats, Busta Jones' funky ass bass riffage and glorious Middle Eastern elements collide. Fantastic. New Feet is one of the previously unreleased tracks - clattery, metallic rhythms and more Arabic vocals bathed in watery reverb. The CD is enhanced and includes a film/video for Mea Culpa by Bruce Conner. A must have.

No comments: