Saturday, February 11, 2006

Music From The Crisis Detention Center

discogs discogs discogs
Finn Johannsen is a 36 year old DJ, journalist and collector from Berlin. He is also, in geek web speak, an 'Ogger. For those of you not in the know, an 'Ogger is a hardcore user of Discogs, the online, user built discography site that has absorbed way too much of my time and energy over the last 5 years. When I first stumbled upon it it was still in it's infancy, and was strictly for electronic music. Over the last few years the site has grown incredibly fast, and has added rock, jazz, hip hop and some other genres too. It has been a labor of love for me, with the end result being to have my whole collection catalogued in one spot. I love it, love it, love it. One of the other benefits for me is that I've found a few people who's tastes mirror mine in many ways, scatterd all over the world. There's a good rush to be had from finding other like minded souls out there - I'm sure many of you can relate. Finn is one of those people. We share a love for Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66/77. We like a lot of other stuff too, but the Mendes thing is first and foremost for me - that and the fact that his taste is even more eclectic than mine. I've never met any of these other 'Oggers, but I feel like I know them because of the music. Discogs has a wild and crazy bunch of forums too, and if you dig deep you'll find the mixes forum. Many of the 'Oggers post mixes there - full sets for other users to enjoy, some of them beatmatched perfection featuring all sorts of electronica while others are more thematic and not about seamless edits. Finn has posted some amazing sets there, always filled with a remarkable variety of tunes, and almost always thematic. He's very good at setting a mood. Last week I asked him if he'd be interested in having me host one of his mixes here, and he responded by providing me with not one but three of them - although it's really one mix in three parts. There is a common theme, as you will see, and as always the scope of artists is fanstastic - and includes Sergio Mendes of course. Over the next week I will be putting up the second and third installments of this set. And Finn wants me to assure you that he's "doing fine in spite of anything the music could suggest". That having been said, Silence Is A Rhythm Too is proud to present...

Music From The Crisis Detention Center (Part I)
(109.7mb / 1:19:52)
Tuxedomoon – The Cage
Lee Hazlewood – The Night Before
The Prisoners – Mourn My Health
R. Dean Taylor – Sunday Morning Coming Down
Yazoo – Winter Kills
Simon And Garfunkel – So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
Pet Shop Boys – Your Funny Uncle
Paddy McAloon – Sleeping Rough
Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 – Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Liza Minnelli – For No One
Kissing The Pink – All For You
Coldcut – Autumn Leaves
Rose Royce – Love Don’t Live Here Anymore
Jesus Loves You – I Specialize In Loneliness
Dee C. Lee – See The Day
Human League – Louise
The Colourfield – Sorry
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – I’m Glad
Matt Monro – And We Were Lovers
The Zombies – I Remember When I Loved Her
The Carpenters – Rainy Days And Mondays / Goodbye To Love

Your comments are encouraged and appreciated...

No comments: