Monday, September 19, 2005

Avalon


Last week I posted several Roxy Music tracks due to the fact that I had recently picked up a bunch of the remastered reissues. Turns out you people really like Roxy Music. There was a big spike in hits on those days, and a large number of you left comments - which is something that makes me very happy. The commenting sparked much discussion over what was the band's "last great album". Several of you chimed in to say that the one I didn't post from, their final LP Avalon, was your favorite. By the time this album was released in 1982 the band had transitioned from the glammy art rock of their early '70s beginnings into a slick, adult contemporary act. And I can honestly say that I don't care. This record is just as memorable to me as any of their other ones. I have been known to indulge in some of that AOR music every once in a while, and when it's as artfully constructed as Avalon it's all good with me. This album sounds timeless to me, unlike so many of it's peers. The production is super, and as a result it really doesn't sound dated. I had a hard time deciding what to post, and I've decided to skip the hits, skip the gorgeous, short instrumental India and give you 2 tracks that run consecutively, from deep into the record. The Main Thing kicks of with lots of atmosphere - clappy rhythm, wubbawubba rubbery bass lines and snaky keys and guitars. It's a deep, spaced out midtempo art funker with nice soulful backing vocals. Take A Chance With Me is equally atmospheric in it's opening moments, almost waltz like, until the beat and guitar kick in and it's vintage Roxy - melodic croon, nice twangy guitar riffs and that sense of melancholy that this band is so good at creating. Slick? Yes, but in such a unique and artistic way that ultimately I can't resist.

No comments: