Monday, August 15, 2005

The Glasgow School

This week @ SIART is all about remastered reissues. To kick it off in grand style I give you one of Scotland's finest, Orange Juice.


Edwyn Collins and his band were part of the early '80s "Sound Of Young Scotland". They released a handful of singles on now legendary indie label Postcard Records, where they were label mates with Josef K, Aztec Camera and The Go-Betweens. Domino Recording Co. has lovingly compiled all of the music they recorded for Postcard - the singles, b-sides and the unreleased album. It's brilliant stuff - a mix of VU riffage, disco beats, post punk and art rock and a healthy dose of Northern soul. Edwin's lyrics are sharp and funny and very self deprecating. I love this band - their unique jangle has always captivated me. I missed out on these recordings the first time around - the first OJ record I ever bought was their Polydor debut L.O.V.E...Love. I continue to be a fan of the old stuff, and have enjoyed Edwyn's solo records too. He's had a rough year, having suffered a cerebral haemorhage in February. He's in recovery. Enough of the sad stuff, though. If you like what you hear go and buy the CD - it's beautifully packaged with great liner notes, and the tunes are all good. Enjoy.

Lovesick
Consolation Prize

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear Edwyn's out of hospital.. hurrah!

Michael said...

Yeah, he's a nice guy too. Back in 1984 when I was living in London I worked as a busboy/waiter at what was then the Rock Garden in Covent Garden for a summer. His record label had their album release party (for the 3rd and final OJ album) in the upstairs area of the restaurant. I worked their table, and lit a few fags for him and Zeke Manyika, as well as supplied them with a steady stream of bevvies. They were both very nice blokes. One of my little brushes with rock 'n' roll greatness...