Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I Believe In California Soul

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Tim Burgess is best known as the lead singer of UK rock band The Charlatans. Back in September of 2003 he released his first solo LP I Believe. His band was on hiatus, and he was living in L.A. and the resulting album showed off a decidedly sunny California disposition. Anyone looking for music that was like his band's will surely be surprised on what's on offer. It's a very soulful take on California rock - "I believe in California soul" he sings on the title track. His falsetto voice is in full swing on the record, and musically it touches on the Stones, Marvin Gaye and maybe even a little bit of Prince. Well, the album finally got a US release in April - almost two years later! - and has been expanded to include a few bonus tracks (one of which is an odd cover of Bob Marley's Who The Cap Fit - I'm not too sure if I really like it). The track I share today is one of the bonus cuts, an instrumental version of the title track called I Believe In The West Coast. I know, I know, you don't get to hear Tim singing, but this tune is too damn groovy, and features some truly tasty saxaphone blowing. While it isn't going to blow you away, if you're a fan of The Charlatans you might like Tim's solo stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the post, i was wondering what his solo stuff sounded like.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Nice track, but I didn't read the post properly, and was waiting for the vocals.
Great track none the less.