Monday, January 31, 2005

Seven Minutes Of Dub Disco Bliss

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


In 1983 the mighty rhythm section of Sly & Robbie went into the studio with disco diva Gwen Guthrie, keyboardist Wally Badarou and guitarist Darryl Thompson. They created a great mini LP titled Padlock, also the name of "the group". It's six tracks of dubby flavored disco, with super tight bass lines and beats, topped off Gwen's faulous vocals. The tapes were then handed over to legendary Paradise Garage DJ Larry Levan, who remixed them for maximum dancefloor impact. Here's the title track, Padlock, where Gwen rips on her man - "you blew it, so I'm padlocking my heart - I don't love you no more!" Amen sister.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Bliss" is the right word. So graceful for a disco track!

Anonymous said...

djeez, this sounds good :)

fons

Disco:Very said...

I've always loved that song. The lyrics are so cool. Thanks for posting it (but I'm bummed because it means that now I can't).