Friday, July 30, 2004

Funky Friday - Julia & Co.

Back in the early '80s when I was in college in London I hung with the soul boys and listened to a lot of acid jazz and disco. We were all hyped up when Julia & Co released Breakin' Down (Sugar Samba) in 1983 - it was a very fresh sounding tune. The song is some seriously funky soul/disco number with a huge poppin' bass line, big jumping jive horns and Julia's sassy vocal delivery telling us we "had to get up and down". I have no idea who they were - all searches of the internet have led to nothing, and I never heard anything by them after this song came out. All I know is that this tune is still funkier than ever, so turn it up and shake your groove thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are interested, Breakin` Down is on the "London" record label (LONX 46)with 3 mixes, 12", Pedro Edit & Club Insert.

I can turn it into mp3 if you want.

AlabamyRising@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Julia & Co. is Julia Nixn and David Ylvisaker. Julia ecently released her live recording called Onward and Upward recorded at the Birchmere in Washington D.C. It is truly amazing stuff. Julia took the time to raise her son and did three Theatre shows with me In Key West, FL. She is still around and in great voice. It has always been a mystery to me why she isn't huge. David is probably one of the most talented musicians I've ever met. Producer, pianist etc.