Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Straight Outta My Inbox

As a blogger I get mp3s e-mailed to me all the time. This week I got a bunch of stuff that I actually got a chance to listen to, and more importantly, liked. Old timer Tom Jones has been given a bit of the Winehouse treatment on his new record and is taking it back to the old school. 2 Hot 2 Sweat are a boy/girl synth-rock duo who deliver a snotty, scuzzy robot rocker - fabulous. Shrag deliver a snotty, scuzzy punk rocker tune with fuzzed out bass and nice shouty vocals. DFA Records brings you Runaway's Dead Dog Farm, a cool bit of art-pop that reminds me of Arthur Russell - moody, string driven sort-of-pop with a hint of ambience. The Muldoons deliver a buzzing slab of rock for fans of '60s garage and classic rock. Shane Muldoon (11) and his older brother Hunter Muldoon (14) write, sing and play guitar. Their dad Brian Muldoon plays the drums. Brian used to play in The Upholsterers with Jack White. Ben Sollee's Only A Song features Jim James from My Morning Jacket on backing vocals and is a mellow bit of country-ish folk.

Tom Jones - If He Should Ever Leave You
2 Hot 2 Sweat - Half-Assed Rom Com
Shrag - Long Term Monster
Runaway - Dead Dog Farm
The Muldoons - Invincible
Ben Sollee - Only A Song

No comments: