Friday, July 18, 2008

Funky Friday Vacation Edition

The family and I had a little vacation in Chicago this week, which explains why there have no posts these last few days.
The wife took the daughters for a day at the American Girl Doll store - "OMG!! SO MUCH FUN DAD! They had this, and that, and this and that. It was the best day of my life, EVER!!" etc. etc. etc. We also had dinner at the cafe there that evening, and I have to say that it was better than I had expected. On the walk home we were passing the Peninsula Hotel and there was a photo shoot going on - hotel bellboys with arms full of bags and flowers around some woman. They were massed on the corner and we stepped aside to go around them. The photographer turned to look at us and said we weren't in the way and could keep walking. Right away I recognized that it was Annie Leibovitz, which I blurted out to the missus. She pulled out the camera to try and get a pic but Annie and the crew had moved to the front of the hotel and she never turned around.
That's her in all black, hand on her hip.
I had intended to go to the Virgin Megastore to shop while the girls did the doll thing - until I found out that it had closed a year earlier. I walked past where I thought I remembered it being but there was some clothes shop there. Back at the hotel I googled and found out that it had closed. Bummer. We did a few other touristy things - The Field Museum - "lets go see the mummies and dinosaurs Dad!"

and Navy Pier. A good time was had by all.


Millennium Park was one of my favorite parts of the whole thing. The Bean sculpture is fantastic and trippy.

So is the neighboring splash park with it's towering water/video installments. It was in the 90˚s the whole time, so I would have loved to immerse myself in that water! Too bad we couldn't stay more than three days, but I'm sure its a trip we'll do again. Now on to the funky stuff...
-----------------------
Beck - Youthless
Busy P - Pedrophilia
Morgan Geist - Detroit
Vibert Simmonds - V.A.J.
Nightmares On Wax - 195LBs
Black Affair - Pills
Black Affair - Just Keep Walking
Midnight Juggernauts - Dystopia (Turkish Prison Mix)
Hercules And Love Affair - You Belong (Hercules Club Mix)
Manu Chao - Politik Kills (Dennis Bovell Remix Feat. Linton Kwesi Johnson)

No comments: