Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New Music Wednesday

Hercules' Theme
Blind (Hercules Club Mix)

Regular readers of my blog will already know that I love Hercules & Love Affair, the latest hipsters signed to the always good DFA Records. When their album came out earlier this spring I did a piece on it where I gushed over my love for it. OK. maybe I didn't gush, but I do love it. Produced by DFA main man Tim Goldsworthy, I wrote "it is a disco stunner. And by disco, I mean the good stuff - the '70s underground, Arthur Russell, Ze Records, Giorgio Moroder, Grace Jones and Larry Levan's Paradise Garage mixes all come to mind. It is a throbbing mix of classic disco influences, live instrumentation and current electronic production. There are strings, horns and synths. There are funky instrumentals." I also point out that Antony Hegarty, lead vocalist for Antony & The Johnsons, sings on several tracks. I a not a big fan of the the man's regular work, but I find his unique vocal stylings well suited to the disco grooves on offer here. The record has been well received by the music press, and I can see why. It has pop smarts, some serious club bangers, '70s disco authenticity, and just the right amount of artiness. The album finally got a US release this week via Mute Records, who have put it out with two extra tracks (Classique #2 & Roar) as well as the video for Blind. It is a fine record, probably one of my faves of the year so far, and I heartily encourage you to investigate it further!

No comments: