Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sugar Must Be Acid Rain

Late Of The Pier - The Bears Are Coming (Beyond The Wizards Sleeve Remix)

I am obsessed with Late Of The Pier. I have been listening to their debut album Fantasy Black Channel almost every day for like a month now. I have sought out their remixes, one of which I share today. Produced by Erol Alkan and singer Sam Eastgate (AKA L.A. Priest), they offer a seamless blend of rock and electronics. The four piece band touches on prog, Numan-esque new wave, quirky electronica, funk, and the spazz rock of Zappa. It is a remarkably self assured debut, and has been getting great reviews. The songs are chock full of energy and ideas, and the band has the chops to carry it off. They handle many styles well, and instead of being a disjointed mess the album flows nicely. I look forward to hearing what they come up with next. I have to say that I also really dig their videos. They reflect the odd quirks of the band, and range from silly to strange. Here's a good example...

"Snap away" she said,
As she danced towards the moonlight,
Run away he did
As she cast off another night.
So in tune were we by the thought of what could never be,
So consumed were we by the fear that swelled between the sheets.
What do they mean?
Seamless dirty dreams.
Why must you scream?
Please don't make a scene.
She plays, she plays,
Is it all a game?
Longing to be tamed,
Sugar must be acid rain.
I saw you wading in the water,
I saw you ride along the sea.
Shine on your nightmare,
Shine through the tears.

No comments: